Over the Himalayas (October 2016)

Over the Himalayas (October 2016)
Over the Himalayas (October 2016) - “Sunlight streamed through grumbling storm clouds that played like tiger kittens around the mountain ridges.” ― Jane Wilson-Howarth, A Glimpse of Eternal Snows: A Journey of Love and Loss in the Himalayas

dimanche 14 septembre 2014

Last Night I dreamt (La nuit dernière j'ai rêvé) - English

Last night 
I dreamed 
That you had 'replaced' 
My dog 

I do not believe she was dead yet 
Not in my feeling 

But maybe 

The new dog 
Didn't look like her 
Instead, it looked more like Lassie 
Smaller than her
With more hairs 
And with flamboyant bright colors 
He had a ball in his mouth 

Contrasting 
With the familiar black and white 
Color of my dog
Wagging everywhere 

Heavy and atypical paws
Powerful and ferreting out
Digging the earth endlessly
Looking for 
Huge stones-treasures 

A bi-colored small ball of hairs 
Frightened into a corner 
The first time I saw her

And the snow 
Which welcomed her
Twice its height 
On its frozen tireless snout

Her light weight 
Heavy yet 
And warm
On my lap 
On the couch 

Smile 

Her floppy ears 
At rest 
Her quiet snoring 
Wheezing, sudden surges
In her sleep 

Silence 

I was there 
Among unknown shadows 
Indistinguishable and foreign presences

Looking desperately around 
For my dog 
Who had disappeared 

Nowhere could I see her
Neither her familiar and so vivid speed
Neither her eyes 
Who never forget you
Neither her way to put her head on my arm 
Without I have to say a word 
Spontaneous impulse
In response to a specific movement of my body 


I could not find any attachment 
For the new and beautiful little red dog 
Who was parading before me 
He was a stranger 

Deaf ears 

Not wanting to hear 
This voice behind me 
A foreign and distant voice 
Already
Undone, rebuilt 

Without any constancy 
Or consistency 
An injury 
An unsolved mystery of life 

The dream 
Suddenly became
Heavily 
Painfully 
Wrapped
With a strange malaise 

I was the foreigner

Foreigner
In my own house

An unfathomable enigma 
Caught in time 
Dream time? 
Or reality time? 

And Then
I woke up

1 commentaire:

Eileen T O'Neill ..... a dit…

Danielle,

Full of detail and emotion, which aids the reader to almost enter the essence of your dream...I understand the sense of fear, as a foreigner in your own home. The moment between the dream and the wonder of reality. Always worrying!!
A fine piece of writing..

Eileen